Chikungunya is the viral infection that is spread by the bite of an Aedes mosquito that usually bites in daytime. The mosquito usually transmits the disease by biting an infected person and then biting someone else. An infected person cannot spread the infection directly to other persons (i.e. it is not a contagious disease).
Common Symptoms Of Chikungunya Are:
I. High fever with backache and severe joints pain with stiffness of joints, the patient is not able to move.
III. Skin rashes with or without itching
IV. Severe weakness
V. Eye infection with over sensitiveness to light (photophobia)
VI. Diarrhoea and/or vomiting may develop in some children suffering from chikungunya
As the disease is self-limiting by nature, most of the symptoms subside within 3 weeks from the onset of symptoms. Some of the symptoms may persist for 3 months and even more. Usually 10 – 1 5 % of the patient those who present with severe Chikungunya progress to Sub acute or chronic phase.
Role Of Homeopathy:
After observing the fever pattern and its three stages- chill, heat and sweat with details of shivering with chilliness before/during fever, irritability/anxiety/restlessness before/during/after fever, by taking note of associated symptoms like headache, nausea, vomiting and their aggravating and ameliorating factors, desire for water during/after fever the homeopathic medicine is selected and administered to the patient. Such well selected homeopathic medicines have proven very effective to cure the disease and its chronicity in terms of long-lasting joints pain post chikungunya.
Homeopathic Medicines For Chikungunya:
I. Eupatorium Perfoliatum
• Indicated when excruciating pain in the limbs and muscles is seen associated with fever.
• Severe bone pain. Aching pain in bones of extremities as if they would break with soreness of flesh is marked.
• Perspiration relieves all complaints except headache.
• Much swelling of ankles and feet associated with soreness.
• Patient often complains of great thirst.
II. Rhus Toxicodendron
• Indicated in fever with polyarthritis.
• Maculopapular (flat and red) rashes with itching.
• Pain and stiffness in joints, which is aggravated by first movement of joint but gets relief with further continued movements.
• Complaints often worsen in damp weather.
III. Other medicines like China, Arnica, Belladonna, Bryonia and Cedron have also proven beneficial in various cases of chikungunya.